Skip to main content

Story Lab: Week 11

This week for the story lab, I went to the Writers Write website to browse around at different themes for stories. This was an interesting website from the get go because the first two posts that caught my eye were about Harnessing Time Flow and a version of writer's block called Starter's block. I browsed through different stories, and one thing that I think really stood out about this website is that it covers more niche things within writing. We have the opportunity to see these larger scale things that will improve our writing, but the small scale things might be better.

Instead of trying to make more dynamic dialogue or more interesting characters, one thing that we might be omitting is the flow of our story in the background. It can be important to use different kinds of pacing or different settings to really expand the story organically instead of unnaturally honing in on one character in particular. Since I basically browsed through articles, I only immediately remember bits and pieces tied to certain articles, but the other thing that stood out were the letters from current writers to beginning ones.

It is commonly told to me that if I were to start a hobby or profession called A, I should Google the phrase "things I wish I knew when starting A" so that I can get more in-depth knowledge and hedge my experience better. Overall, I think this leads to preventing mistakes that others faced, and it ends up optimizing my own experience.

This was an interesting exercise because while it does not directly tell me how to write a story, it definitely gives me insight into the different elements at my disposal to write stories, and how to become a better writer overall. I look forward to implementing some of these ideas into future stories.

Writers Write Blog


Story writing is the main aim of the class- labs certainly assist with that. Source: Pxhere

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: Getting to know Me

My name is Sean, and I am double majoring in chemical engineering and mathematics. I enjoy mathematics and computations, and the engineering program marries these two very well, while the mathematics program introduces a theoretical side. I hope to learn enough about mathematical modeling and refinery operations to become a financial forecaster for crude training. Favorite Foods: My favorite food of all time is the szechuan chicken with hot chile oil from a restaurant in my hometown called Szechuans. But other great foods include: gumbo, steak, and kettle chips. I had the chance to intern at ExxonMobil in Baton Rouge, Louisiana where I consumed a large amount of cajun food. I had gumbo 3-4 times per week and while there are many kinds of gumbo, the best is by far chicken and sausage. Free Time: In my free time, I enjoy playing soccer, running, and racquetball. Soccer is a sport I've played for the past 15-16 years, and I've played for many teams including intramural and c

Week 5 Story: The Dog and His Toy

Once there was a dog named Kyler, and he was perhaps the best boy in the world. He could protect his owners from all sorts of perils, such as random people delivering paper, visitors that had to pass a rigorous security check, and even cleaning devices that projected so much noise that they could cover up the sound of approaching intruders. Kyler was great at his job, and every time he had done a good deed, he would be rewarded by getting to play with his favorite toy, a little plush reindeer. But Kyler also remembered what happened when he was a bad boy, his toy would be taken away. One day, Kyler was napping, paying little attention to his surroundings when he saw a movement out of the corner of his eyes. He stood up from his shady perch under the tree, and trotted over to the tree, where he saw a squirrel. The squirrel, being up to mischief, pelted an acorn at him. This brought a challenge to Kyler's territory, and he started shaking the tree in an attempt to get the squirrel