Skip to main content

Famous Last Words: Recovering from Phantom Mono

This week, I was willing to bet money that I had mono. I had chills, a fever, and worst of all, I was sleeping around 12-16 hours per day, and waking up still feeling tired. The doctor at Goddard thought it was a viral infection, and I had hope. I spent my days eating chicken soup, drudging to class, and sleeping. I thought all hope was lost. I had a fluid dynamics test and a thermodynamics test that week, and I had to chug a combination of cold brew coffee and theraflu in order to remain consciousness.

But then, Thursday struck. I slept for only (yes, only) nine hours and I felt great. There was color in the world. The birds sang in harmony. The squirrels pranced to and fro about their trees. Nature amalgamated into one beautiful euphonious sound of good health. Most importantly, I would be able to make Gameday (not saying I'm the lucky fan, but every game I've been to, we've won by atleast 20 points.)

The day afterwards, I slept for only seven hours. I can feel my body not being sick, and it feels great. I ate a burger from IHOP. I didn't need fluids 24/7. I didn't need vitamin C, airborne, ZICAM, and zinc to start my day off. And most importantly, I could probably jump without collapsing and falling asleep. Life was on the upslope, and what better day than a Friday to discover that?

I am thankful for my good health, and I hope to use that moment as a turning point to take better care of my body, which includes exercise and eating healthy. On a slightly downer note, one of my roommates' girlfriends has mono, so the risk still remains that we might all have mono. Hopefully this post does not become my Famous Last Words.


A graphic of the symptoms of mono. Source: Wikimedia Commons



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: Getting to know Me

My name is Sean, and I am double majoring in chemical engineering and mathematics. I enjoy mathematics and computations, and the engineering program marries these two very well, while the mathematics program introduces a theoretical side. I hope to learn enough about mathematical modeling and refinery operations to become a financial forecaster for crude training. Favorite Foods: My favorite food of all time is the szechuan chicken with hot chile oil from a restaurant in my hometown called Szechuans. But other great foods include: gumbo, steak, and kettle chips. I had the chance to intern at ExxonMobil in Baton Rouge, Louisiana where I consumed a large amount of cajun food. I had gumbo 3-4 times per week and while there are many kinds of gumbo, the best is by far chicken and sausage. Free Time: In my free time, I enjoy playing soccer, running, and racquetball. Soccer is a sport I've played for the past 15-16 years, and I've played for many teams including intramural and c

Week 5 Story: The Dog and His Toy

Once there was a dog named Kyler, and he was perhaps the best boy in the world. He could protect his owners from all sorts of perils, such as random people delivering paper, visitors that had to pass a rigorous security check, and even cleaning devices that projected so much noise that they could cover up the sound of approaching intruders. Kyler was great at his job, and every time he had done a good deed, he would be rewarded by getting to play with his favorite toy, a little plush reindeer. But Kyler also remembered what happened when he was a bad boy, his toy would be taken away. One day, Kyler was napping, paying little attention to his surroundings when he saw a movement out of the corner of his eyes. He stood up from his shady perch under the tree, and trotted over to the tree, where he saw a squirrel. The squirrel, being up to mischief, pelted an acorn at him. This brought a challenge to Kyler's territory, and he started shaking the tree in an attempt to get the squirrel