Skip to main content

Famous Last Words: Week 3 as a Whole

This week is met with many different sources of stress and many different sources of work. I started work at a new consultancy company part time, which results in less time to study, but a different challenge overall. With tests coming up, it will be interesting to see how I am able to balance different classes with needing to sleep eight hours per day, and how I can also balance that against needing to cook my own foods.

There is a sense of urgency in everything I do now as I must spend more time working on classes in my free time, and I do not have the same time to simply goof around. While I still plan on slacking off to the best of my abilities, I unfortunately have to focus some efforts on classes. We have had quizzes in numerical methods, hard homeworks in thermodynamics, and difficult questions in complex analysis. This, combined with reading research papers at my job and delving out the minutiae vs. the substance is resulting in an increased difficulty in my time overall.

But there are points of positivity to look forwards to as well. This weekend, OU will play UCLA at home again, and I will again go with a few friends. Hopefully we will win and make another appearance in the Big 12 Championship and Playoffs, extending Lincoln Riley's success rate. I've been watching OU football since I was 4 or 5, so these game are always special for me. In addition to football, there is positivity in the foods that will be tried this weekend as well. I am going to try to make red beans and rice with sausage- a classic that I had while I was in Baton Rouge. I am planning on soaking the beans in a salt water, browning the sausage, and sautéing with vegetables, then simmering the beans with the mixture until creamy.

Overall, while the week can be stressful, it is important to focus on the positives as well!


Stress always occurs- but it is a great growing opportunity. Source: BlueDiamondGallery

Comments

  1. Sean, as an economist, I have always put a money value on the decisions that I make, as it is one of the first things we're taught to do when we take introduction to microeconomics. We're taught to roughly equate every hour to about $10 as college students because in an hour we could be messing around and wasting time, we could also be working and making $10 (granted that is your wage). On top of that, I directly associate getting better grades, with saving money in the future when I go to law school, as even a .01 difference in my GPA might influence if I get a scholarship or not. I spent a lot of time with my extended family this summer and it was the first time that I genuinely realized that I can not put a dollar-value on time with my loved ones, my mental health, and experiences that I want to remember for the rest of my life because they are absolutely priceless. While financial security is the reason that I stay up for days in a row, damaging my sanity and physical well-being, to finish research papers and blog posts and study for exams, I now keep in mind that money has no value for me (besides to sustain my life) if I can't use it to continue a life of health with the people that I love, doing the things that I love. Hopefully the things that you love will always drive you to make it through any challenges you have in school or work, but after reading your introduction, it makes me happy to see that you have integrated the things you love into your academic and professional career.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: Getting to know Me

My name is Sean, and I am double majoring in chemical engineering and mathematics. I enjoy mathematics and computations, and the engineering program marries these two very well, while the mathematics program introduces a theoretical side. I hope to learn enough about mathematical modeling and refinery operations to become a financial forecaster for crude training. Favorite Foods: My favorite food of all time is the szechuan chicken with hot chile oil from a restaurant in my hometown called Szechuans. But other great foods include: gumbo, steak, and kettle chips. I had the chance to intern at ExxonMobil in Baton Rouge, Louisiana where I consumed a large amount of cajun food. I had gumbo 3-4 times per week and while there are many kinds of gumbo, the best is by far chicken and sausage. Free Time: In my free time, I enjoy playing soccer, running, and racquetball. Soccer is a sport I've played for the past 15-16 years, and I've played for many teams including intramural and c

Week 5 Story: The Dog and His Toy

Once there was a dog named Kyler, and he was perhaps the best boy in the world. He could protect his owners from all sorts of perils, such as random people delivering paper, visitors that had to pass a rigorous security check, and even cleaning devices that projected so much noise that they could cover up the sound of approaching intruders. Kyler was great at his job, and every time he had done a good deed, he would be rewarded by getting to play with his favorite toy, a little plush reindeer. But Kyler also remembered what happened when he was a bad boy, his toy would be taken away. One day, Kyler was napping, paying little attention to his surroundings when he saw a movement out of the corner of his eyes. He stood up from his shady perch under the tree, and trotted over to the tree, where he saw a squirrel. The squirrel, being up to mischief, pelted an acorn at him. This brought a challenge to Kyler's territory, and he started shaking the tree in an attempt to get the squirrel