Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Mahabharata, Kincaid Version, Part B

This week, I continued reading the Mahabharata by C.A. Kincaid. Earlier, I had praised this part of the story for being far better in clarity when compared to the other, but perhaps it was because I was comparing the relatively easy to understand beginning with the relatively difficult to understand ending. This is an interesting part of the story, because generally when I write, I do not have identity changes such as the Pandavas did, and I also do not interchange characters so frequently. I have a single character and some supporting characters. The issue is that technically, this is centered around an entire family, but the family acts between five different characters, which can make it hard when two characters from two different families interact, and we might not remember who is from what family.

The story does become far better when telling the happenings of the battle. In the Public Domain Edition, I had a hard time understanding the entire focus of the battle, because it happens in so many stages. So when the violence died down between stories, it would feel like it was going on and on, but also completely over. This story does a good job with the flow of the battle because it's all in one section, so I never forget that a war is raging on.

The weekly complaint I have for this story is the concept of the "tests." Near the end, Yudhishthira is tested a few times. First, he is given the chance of seeing heaven after his entire family dies, and second, he can stay in hell or go to heaven. While the loyalty concept of these tests makes sense, if he is created by the Gods and they can tell the righteousness of his heart, why test it in the first place?

Overall, this was a great re-read of the Mahabharata, and I think that a second reading, regardless of the quality in comparison, is a good idea. The characters are sometimes hard to keep track of due to the switch up and the fast paced flow of the ending, but it did clarify many things.


Yudhishthira refuses to abandon his dog, passing a loyalty test. Source: Wikipedia 

Bibliography: 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: Getting to know Me

My name is Sean, and I am double majoring in chemical engineering and mathematics. I enjoy mathematics and computations, and the engineering program marries these two very well, while the mathematics program introduces a theoretical side. I hope to learn enough about mathematical modeling and refinery operations to become a financial forecaster for crude training. Favorite Foods: My favorite food of all time is the szechuan chicken with hot chile oil from a restaurant in my hometown called Szechuans. But other great foods include: gumbo, steak, and kettle chips. I had the chance to intern at ExxonMobil in Baton Rouge, Louisiana where I consumed a large amount of cajun food. I had gumbo 3-4 times per week and while there are many kinds of gumbo, the best is by far chicken and sausage. Free Time: In my free time, I enjoy playing soccer, running, and racquetball. Soccer is a sport I've played for the past 15-16 years, and I've played for many teams including intramural and c

Week 5 Story: The Dog and His Toy

Once there was a dog named Kyler, and he was perhaps the best boy in the world. He could protect his owners from all sorts of perils, such as random people delivering paper, visitors that had to pass a rigorous security check, and even cleaning devices that projected so much noise that they could cover up the sound of approaching intruders. Kyler was great at his job, and every time he had done a good deed, he would be rewarded by getting to play with his favorite toy, a little plush reindeer. But Kyler also remembered what happened when he was a bad boy, his toy would be taken away. One day, Kyler was napping, paying little attention to his surroundings when he saw a movement out of the corner of his eyes. He stood up from his shady perch under the tree, and trotted over to the tree, where he saw a squirrel. The squirrel, being up to mischief, pelted an acorn at him. This brought a challenge to Kyler's territory, and he started shaking the tree in an attempt to get the squirrel