Skip to main content

Growth Mindset, Week 2

This week, I had the opportunity to learn more about the growth mindset, and how it can affect children when they are raised by it, rather than learning about it after high school. The article itself is The Secret to Raising Smart Kids by Carol S. Dweck.

One thing this article confirmed that I had already suspected is that intelligence is something that can be grown and people can continually get smarter by looking at problems as opportunities to improve as opposed to things to avoid.

A new thing that I learned is that a fixed mindset not only discourages work, but in the workplace itself, managers and leaders can decide to be closed minded to constructive criticism and choose not to improve within their team, or to improve their team.

One thing I would like to learn more about is the studies and hard research behind all of these claims and more conclusions that can be drawn from different kinds of studies.

In order to grow this mindset further, I will write down one problem I am having in my life right now, and I will try to see it as a "growing potential" as opposed to a problem.


Growth Mindsets can quite literally, grow the mind of a child. Source: YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: Getting to know Me

My name is Sean, and I am double majoring in chemical engineering and mathematics. I enjoy mathematics and computations, and the engineering program marries these two very well, while the mathematics program introduces a theoretical side. I hope to learn enough about mathematical modeling and refinery operations to become a financial forecaster for crude training. Favorite Foods: My favorite food of all time is the szechuan chicken with hot chile oil from a restaurant in my hometown called Szechuans. But other great foods include: gumbo, steak, and kettle chips. I had the chance to intern at ExxonMobil in Baton Rouge, Louisiana where I consumed a large amount of cajun food. I had gumbo 3-4 times per week and while there are many kinds of gumbo, the best is by far chicken and sausage. Free Time: In my free time, I enjoy playing soccer, running, and racquetball. Soccer is a sport I've played for the past 15-16 years, and I've played for many teams including intramural and c...

Week 5 Story: The Dog and His Toy

Once there was a dog named Kyler, and he was perhaps the best boy in the world. He could protect his owners from all sorts of perils, such as random people delivering paper, visitors that had to pass a rigorous security check, and even cleaning devices that projected so much noise that they could cover up the sound of approaching intruders. Kyler was great at his job, and every time he had done a good deed, he would be rewarded by getting to play with his favorite toy, a little plush reindeer. But Kyler also remembered what happened when he was a bad boy, his toy would be taken away. One day, Kyler was napping, paying little attention to his surroundings when he saw a movement out of the corner of his eyes. He stood up from his shady perch under the tree, and trotted over to the tree, where he saw a squirrel. The squirrel, being up to mischief, pelted an acorn at him. This brought a challenge to Kyler's territory, and he started shaking the tree in an attempt to get the squirrel ...